How do you balance your indie career when you also run a small business? And when do you know if you should use a pen name? Listen in to USA Today bestselling fantasy author, Alisha Klapheke as she shares some of her secrets to success.
IN EPISODE NINETEEN YOU WILL LEARN:
- Taking the hobby of writing and turning it into a career.
- Using a book launch party to kick off your author career.
- Taking inspiration from history and using museums to spark ideas.
- The pros and cons of using a pen name and what you should consider before you start one.
- How to get pre-orders when you need to build your audience from scratch.
- Why you should make friends with other authors and the benefits of knowing authors in your genre.
- How to show appreciation to your email list and strategies for creating engaging emails.
- Alisha’s process for shaping characters and how they vary from draft to draft.
- Why using a critique partner is helpful for motivation.
- Pro tip: Figure out what’s draining your energy and give that job to someone else. (Read this book)
ABOUT ALISHA KLAPHEKE
USA Today bestselling author Alisha Klapheke wants to infuse readers’ lives with unique magic, far-flung fantasy settings, and romance. Her inspiration springs from an obsession with history, years of world travel, and the fantasy she grew up reading when she was supposed to be doing her math homework.
When she’s not writing, Alisha teaches Muay Thai kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and Krav Maga to kids, adults, and the occasional country music star at her school just south of Nashville. That may be why writing fight scenes is her favorite.
CONNECT WITH ALISHA KLAPHEKE
HOSTS CORNER: A PEEK BEHIND THE SCENES OF WHAT WE’RE WORKING ON
Stephanie BwaBwa just released Seraphim Falling. Learn more about the short story here.
Angela J. Ford just released Pawn. Learn more about the novel here.
Register for an upcoming workshop
- March Workshop: How to Craft Engaging Emails – Register Now!
- April Workshop: How to Get Reviews on Amazon – Register Now!
The journey to becoming a full-time author on your own terms doesn’t have to be lonely or hard.
We have an awesome community where we chat daily, write together, and motivate each other.
Join the Indie Author Lifestyle Community by going to www.indieauthorlifestyle.com/innercircle.