How do you weave the human condition into your story? And how do you use personal experiences and flaws to create relatable characters? Listen in to fantasy author, Miri C. Golden as she shares about using the power of life experience to craft a bestselling novel.
IN EPISODE TWENTY-ONE YOU WILL LEARN:
- Taking tragedy and using it as a therapeutic way to heal.
- Using life experience (both good and bad) to make your characters relatable.
- Drawing from your own flaws to make your writing authentic.
- How to get into your character’s heads by adding personal vernacular, keywords and identities.
- Should you regurgitate what someone else has done? Here are some tips on exploring magical systems, creating your own characters and building a world that readers fall in love with.
- How to balance writing what readers want to read versus what brings you joy.
- Why we should take time to give ourselves the tools we need to be successful.
- Understanding that art is subjective and why you should LOVE what you do.
- Traditional publishing versus indie author life – what you need to know.
- Behind the scenes of Miri’s books and why you just might want to read them!
- A word of encouragement as you write your 1st or 10th draft.
ABOUT MIRI C. GOLDEN
Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, Miri C. Golden grew up in the rural mountains of Southern Oregon, where cougars and deer outnumber people. Raised without TV, gaming systems, and central heating & air, she escaped real life through fantasy novels.
Not much has changed since then, save for the dinosaurs—they died off.
Currently, Miri resides in the Pacific Northwest with her oh-so sexy husband and their two little monsters. She continues to escape all of life’s disappointments through reading and writing, but when she stuck adulting and can’t immerse herself in magic, dragons, and one-true-loves, she toils her days away in the art industry.
In addition to banging words, Miri enjoys biking, cooking, reading, and exploring art in its many mediums, as well as stuffing her face, rolling her eyes, and liberally applying four-letter words and their conjugates to every situation.
Oh! And Epstein didn’t k!ll himself.
CONNECT WITH Miri C. Golden
Links mentioned in the show
HOSTS CORNER: A PEEK BEHIND THE SCENES OF WHAT WE’RE WORKING ON
Stephanie BwaBwa is working on the 2nd novella in the Seraphim Resistance series and waiting on an illustrated cover. Learn more here.
Angela J. Ford is dealing with creative lows and writing Fate – Night of the Dark Fae Book 2. Learn more about the novel here.
REGISTER FOR OUR MONTHLY WORKSHOPS
- March Workshop: How to Craft Engaging Emails – Register Now!
- April Workshop: How to Get Reviews on Amazon – Register Now!
The journey to becoming a full-time author on your own terms doesn’t have to be lonely or hard.
We have an awesome community where we chat daily, write together, and motivate each other.
Join the Indie Author Lifestyle Community by going to www.indieauthorlifestyle.com/innercircle.
LISTEN TO PREVIOUS EPISODES
- 020: Top Strategies for Crafting Real and Relatable Characters with Stephanie BwaBwa
- 019: Balancing Your Indie Career When Using A Pen Name with Alisha Klapheke
- 018: What Indie Authors need to know about Audiobooks with Angela J. Ford
- 017: An Entrepreneurial Path to Multiple Stream of Income with Melissa Frey
- 016: A Candid Conversation on Taking Risks and Dreaming Big
- 015: Staying True to your Creativity & Writing with JA Andrews