Budgeting for Indie Authors
In Budgeting for Indie Authors, we take you behind the scenes of publishing a book, a real look at book publishing expenses and tips on how to make your budget work for you (no matter how large or small).
What should I save up for?
What should I expect when publishing my first book?
How much does a successful author spend each month?
- Our book budgeting philosophy.
- The 3 areas of editing and how to determine what your book needs.
- Cover design pricing and demystifying photo manipulation versus illustration.
- Do you need to invest in book swag? Here’s why you might, or might not.
- How to save hundreds on book formatting.
- Do you really need a barcode or ISBN?
- Why you need an author platform.
- What costs to watch out for when using Kindle Direct Publishing versus IngramSpark.
- Advertising budgets and what to expect when running ads.
- How to budget for giveaways.
- What to expect with influencer marketing and how to get the best ROI.
- Budgets of successful indie authors and how they vary.
- Pre-Launch Budget
- Book Launch Budget
- Ongoing Book Marketing Budget
Get our Self-Publishing Book Budget Spreadsheet and plug in your numbers.
Meet Your Instructors
Angela J. Ford
Bestselling Fantasy Author
Angela J. Ford is a bestselling epic fantasy author who has sold over 30,000 copies and has had over 10 million page reads in Kindle Unlimited. She enjoys traveling, hiking, and playing World of Warcraft with her husband. First and foremost, Angela is a reader and can often be found with her nose in a book.
YA Fantasy Author
Stephanie BwaBwa is a YA Fantasy Author, Founder, and Multi-Passionate Entrepreneur. Stephanie is a Christian, Disney fanatic, and lover of monkeys, and coffee. You can usually catch her going for a walk through a park with The Bubba, or simply binging Disney+ with a cup of Peppermint Mocha in hand.